Welcome to my travel blog, “Traveling in the United States and its Territories!” In this article, we will explore the vibrant city of Spokane, located in Washington state. Discover the hidden gems and must-visit destinations while I guide you through the places to go and not to go in Spokane. From mesmerizing natural landscapes to captivating cultural attractions, Spokane has it all. So, grab your bags and get ready for an unforgettable journey. Let’s dive into the secrets of this remarkable city!
Must-Visit Attractions in Spokane
Spokane offers a plethora of must-visit attractions that are sure to delight travelers. From the scenic beauty of Riverfront Park to the historic Davenport Hotel, there is something for everyone. Don’t miss out on exploring the impressive collections at the Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture or catching a show at the iconic Bing Crosby Theater. Make sure to allocate enough time to fully immerse yourself in the charm and excitement of these attractions.
Hidden Gems in Spokane
While popular attractions can be a great experience, sometimes it’s the hidden gems that make a trip truly memorable. In Spokane, some hidden gems include Manito Park with its beautiful gardens and Japanese Tea House, the unique Steam Plant Square, and the fascinating Mobius Science Center. These lesser-known spots offer a chance to experience Spokane from a different perspective and should not be overlooked by curious travelers seeking something off the beaten path.
Neighborhoods to Explore
To truly get a sense of Spokane’s local culture and vibe, exploring its various neighborhoods is a must. The vibrant and trendy Kendall Yards, the historic Browne’s Addition, and the artsy Garland District are just a few examples. Each neighborhood has its own distinct charm, shops, restaurants, and events. Immerse yourself in the unique atmosphere of these neighborhoods to discover the true essence of Spokane.
Places to Avoid in Spokane
While Spokane is generally a safe and welcoming city, there are a few areas that visitors might want to avoid or exercise caution in. Some areas along East Sprague Avenue and parts of Hillyard can have higher crime rates. It’s always wise to research and stay informed about any potential safety concerns before venturing into unfamiliar areas.
Scenic Day Trips from Spokane
If you have extra time to spare, consider taking a scenic day trip from Spokane to explore the surrounding areas. Visit the picturesque Green Bluff farms for some apple picking and wine tasting, go hiking in the beautiful Dishman Hills Natural Area, or take a drive to the stunning Palouse Falls State Park. These day trips offer breathtaking natural beauty and are perfect for nature enthusiasts and outdoor lovers.
Frequently Asked Questions in our travel blog
What are the must-visit places in Spokane, Washington?
Spokane, Washington offers a variety of attractions and activities for visitors to explore. Here are some of the must-visit places in Spokane:
1. Riverfront Park: This iconic park is situated in the heart of downtown Spokane and features stunning views of the Spokane River. Visitors can enjoy a ride on the historic Looff Carousel, take a stroll along the Centennial Trail, or enjoy various outdoor concerts and events.
2. Manito Park: Known as Spokane’s premier urban park, Manito Park is a beautiful oasis with well-maintained gardens, walking paths, and a conservatory. The Japanese Garden and the Rose Hill are particularly popular among visitors.
3. Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture: Located in a historic mansion, this museum offers exhibits on regional history, Native American culture, and contemporary art. It also houses a collection of rare artifacts and provides educational programs.
4. Mount Spokane State Park: Nature enthusiasts should not miss the opportunity to visit Mount Spokane State Park, which offers year-round recreational opportunities. Visitors can explore the park’s extensive trail system, go camping, skiing, or even participate in wildlife spotting.
5. Spokane Falls: These gorgeous waterfalls are located right in downtown Spokane and provide a spectacular sight. Visitors can take a SkyRide over the falls to enjoy panoramic views or go for a walk along the Upper Falls Loop Trail.
6. Steam Plant Square: This unique dining and entertainment complex is housed in a renovated steam plant that dates back to 1916. It offers a range of restaurants, breweries, and shops, allowing visitors to experience Spokane’s vibrant culinary scene.
7. Green Bluff: Located just outside of Spokane, Green Bluff is a farming community known for its charming orchards, wineries, and farm stands. Visitors can pick their own fruits, enjoy wine tastings, and indulge in delicious homemade treats.
These are just a few of the many attractions Spokane has to offer. With its natural beauty, cultural sites, and outdoor recreational opportunities, Spokane is a destination that should not be missed.
Are there any areas in Spokane that tourists should avoid?
When visiting Spokane, there are a few areas that tourists should be cautious about:
1. Downtown Spokane at night: While downtown Spokane is generally a safe area during the day, it is recommended to exercise caution at night, especially in certain parts where there may be a higher concentration of homeless individuals and transient populations.
2. East Sprague Avenue: This area has seen some improvement in recent years, but it still has a reputation for being a bit rough around the edges. It is advised to exercise caution when visiting this part of Spokane, especially after dark.
3. Hillyard neighborhood: Hillyard is a neighborhood located in northeast Spokane that has had a history of higher crime rates. While efforts have been made to improve the area, it is still advisable to be aware of your surroundings if you find yourself in this neighborhood.
It’s important to note that Spokane, like any city, has its share of safe and unsafe areas. By staying vigilant, being aware of your surroundings, and using common sense, you can have a pleasant and safe experience exploring this vibrant city.
What are some popular attractions in Spokane that are worth visiting?
Spokane, Washington, is a city filled with numerous attractions that are definitely worth visiting. Here are some popular ones:
1. Riverfront Park: This park is a must-visit destination in Spokane. It offers beautiful views of the Spokane River, an iconic clock tower, a gondola ride over the falls, and a carousel.
2. Manito Park: Known for its stunning gardens, Manito Park is a great place to relax and enjoy nature. It features diverse gardens like the Japanese Garden, Rose Hill, and Duncan Garden.
3. Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture: If you’re interested in art and culture, this museum is a must-visit. It showcases exhibits on regional history, Native American culture, and contemporary art.
4. Centennial Trail: This scenic trail stretches for 37 miles along the Spokane River. It’s perfect for biking, walking, or jogging while enjoying the picturesque surroundings.
5. Bing Crosby House Museum: Fans of the famous crooner should visit his childhood home, which has been transformed into a museum showcasing his life and career.
6. Spokane Falls: These magnificent waterfalls are a sight to behold. Visitors can take a stroll along the river and enjoy the breathtaking views.
7. Green Bluff: Located just outside Spokane, Green Bluff is a farming community that offers activities like fruit picking, wine tasting, and enjoying farm-fresh produce.
8. Mobius Children’s Museum: A great attraction for families, this interactive museum provides educational and hands-on exhibits designed to spark children’s curiosity and creativity.
These are just a few of the many attractions Spokane has to offer. Whether you’re interested in nature, culture, or history, Spokane has something for everyone to enjoy.
Are there any neighborhoods or areas in Spokane that have a reputation for being unsafe or not recommended for tourists?
Spokane is generally a safe city for tourists, but like any other place, it has some neighborhoods that may have a higher crime rate or reputation for being less recommended for visitors. It’s always important to exercise caution and be aware of your surroundings regardless of where you are.
One neighborhood that is often mentioned as having higher crime rates is Hillyard. It is located in the northeast part of Spokane and has had a history of crime issues. While efforts have been made to improve safety in recent years, tourists may want to exercise caution when visiting this area.
Another neighborhood to be cautious of is the East Central area, particularly around the intersection of Sprague Avenue and Division Street. This area has seen its share of crime and is known for being a less desirable place for tourists.
It’s worth noting that these neighborhoods are not representative of Spokane as a whole, and there are many other wonderful areas to explore. The downtown and South Hill neighborhoods, for example, are generally safe and popular for visitors.
As always, it’s wise to research the specific areas you plan to visit and follow local advice and recommendations to ensure a safe and enjoyable trip to Spokane.
Can you recommend any hidden gems or lesser-known places in Spokane that are worth exploring?
Of course! Spokane, Washington has a few hidden gems and lesser-known places that are definitely worth exploring. Here are a couple of recommendations for you:
1. Riverside State Park: Located just a few miles northwest of downtown Spokane, Riverside State Park offers over 10,000 acres of beautiful natural landscapes. The park is perfect for hiking, biking, horseback riding, and even cross-country skiing during the winter months. Don’t miss the Bowl and Pitcher area, where you can see the Spokane River carving its way through impressive basalt rock formations.
2. Manito Park and Botanical Gardens: Tucked away in the South Hill neighborhood, Manito Park is a peaceful oasis with meticulously maintained gardens, vibrant flowerbeds, and tranquil ponds. Take a leisurely stroll through the Japanese Garden, Duncan Garden, or the Rose Garden, each offering their own unique beauty. It’s an ideal spot for a picnic or simply unwinding amidst nature.
3. The Steam Plant: A hidden gem for foodies and architecture enthusiasts, The Steam Plant is a historic building in downtown Spokane that used to be a steam-powered heating facility. Now transformed into a restaurant and brewery, this architectural marvel boasts towering smokestacks, exposed brick walls, and industrial-chic decor. Grab a delicious meal or craft beer while taking in the unique ambiance.
4. Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture: If you’re interested in learning about the region’s history and culture, don’t miss this hidden gem. The museum features exhibits on Native American history, regional art, and the story of Spokane. Take your time to explore the various exhibits and immerse yourself in the rich heritage of the area.
These are just a few examples of the hidden gems Spokane has to offer. Exploring these lesser-known places will give you a unique and authentic experience of the city. Happy travels!
In conclusion, Spokane, Washington offers a plethora of exciting and vibrant attractions to explore. From the breathtaking views at Mount Spokane State Park to the cultural riches of the Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture, there is something for everyone in this charming city. However, it is important to exercise caution and avoid certain areas, such as East Sprague Avenue and Hillyard, due to their higher crime rates. By following this advice, travelers can fully enjoy the beauty and charm of Spokane while ensuring their safety and well-being.
Spokane, Washington truly captures the essence of the Pacific Northwest with its stunning natural landscapes and rich cultural experiences. From hiking the trails of Riverside State Park to discovering local craftsmanship at the Spokane Valley Mall, there are countless adventures to embark on in this vibrant city. However, it is crucial to be mindful of certain areas, such as East Sprague Avenue and Hillyard, which have higher crime rates. By exercising caution and staying informed, visitors can make the most of their time in Spokane while ensuring their safety. So, pack your bags and prepare for an unforgettable journey through this captivating city!