Welcome to my blog, Traveling in the United States and its Territories! In this article, I will be sharing with you the best guided tours or excursions of Ketchikan – Alaska. Whether you’re a nature lover, adventure seeker, or history enthusiast, Ketchikan has something for everyone. From breathtaking hikes in the Tongass National Forest to exploring the historic Creek Street, there is no shortage of incredible experiences to be had. So, put on your explorers cap and get ready to embark on an unforgettable journey through Ketchikan – Alaska’s hidden gem.
Misty Fjords National Monument
The Misty Fjords National Monument is a must-visit destination in Ketchikan, Alaska. Explore the stunning fjords, waterfalls, and granite cliffs on a guided tour. Journey through the wilderness by boat or floatplane and marvel at the untouched beauty of this untouched region. Don’t miss the opportunity to witness wildlife such as bears, eagles, and seals in their natural habitat.
Totem Bight State Historical Park
Discover the rich Native American history and culture at Totem Bight State Historical Park. Join a guided tour and learn about the impressive collection of authentic totem poles that tell stories of Alaska’s indigenous people. Get a glimpse into their artistry, traditions, and way of life as you walk through the park’s beautiful coastal forest.
Saxman Native Village
Immerse yourself in the Native American heritage of Ketchikan by visiting Saxman Native Village. Take a guided tour to explore the artistry of the totem poles, traditional dance performances, and cultural exhibits. Learn about the customs and traditions of the Tlingit, Haida, and Tsimshian tribes, and even have the chance to create your own souvenir at the carving shed.
Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary
Embark on a guided tour of the Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary for a unique wilderness experience. Explore the lush rainforest, spot local flora and fauna, and learn about the ecological importance of this pristine environment. Your knowledgeable guide will educate you on the various plant and animal species that call this sanctuary home, including bald eagles, black bears, and salmon.
Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show
For a dose of entertainment and excitement, catch the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show in Ketchikan. Enjoy a guided tour of this interactive lumberjack competition and witness impressive feats of strength and skill. Watch as professional lumberjacks showcase traditional logging techniques, including log rolling, axe throwing, and tree climbing. It’s a fun-filled experience that provides an insight into Alaska’s rich logging history.
Frequently Asked Questions in our travel blog
What are the most popular guided tours or excursions in Ketchikan, Alaska?
The most popular guided tours and excursions in Ketchikan, Alaska offer visitors a chance to explore the stunning natural beauty and rich cultural heritage of this unique destination. Here are some of the top options:
1. Misty Fjords National Monument Tour: This guided tour takes you deep into the heart of Misty Fjords, one of the most breathtaking natural landscapes in Alaska. You’ll get to see towering cliffs, cascading waterfalls, and abundant wildlife while cruising through fjords in a comfortable boat.
2. Bear Viewing Tours: Ketchikan is known for its proximity to prime bear habitat, and guided bear viewing tours allow visitors to observe these majestic creatures in their natural habitat. These tours typically take place in remote areas accessible only by seaplane or boat.
3. Rainforest Canopy and Zipline Adventure: For thrill-seekers, this excursion offers an exciting way to explore the lush rainforest canopy. You’ll zip through the treetops on a series of ziplines, taking in panoramic views of the surrounding wilderness.
4. Kayaking Tours: Ketchikan’s pristine waterways are perfect for kayaking. Guided kayak tours allow you to paddle through tranquil bays and narrow channels, providing an up-close experience with the diverse marine life and stunning coastal scenery.
5. Totem Bight State Historical Park: This cultural excursion takes you to Totem Bight State Historical Park, where you can admire a collection of intricately carved totem poles and learn about the indigenous culture and history of the region.
These guided tours and excursions in Ketchikan offer something for every type of traveler, whether you’re seeking adventure, wildlife encounters, or cultural enrichment. Be sure to book in advance, as they are popular activities and spaces can fill up quickly.
Are there any guided tours that focus specifically on wildlife viewing in Ketchikan?
Yes, there are guided tours available in Ketchikan that specifically focus on wildlife viewing. Ketchikan is known for its abundant wildlife, including bald eagles, black bears, and whales. These tours offer visitors the opportunity to explore the pristine wilderness areas surrounding Ketchikan while also learning about the local wildlife and their habitats.
One popular option is a wildlife cruise, where visitors can board a comfortable boat and navigate through the waters surrounding Ketchikan. During the cruise, expert guides provide commentary on the wildlife spotted along the way, such as bald eagles soaring overhead or seals sunbathing on nearby rocks. Some tours even offer the chance to see humpback whales breaching and feeding in their natural habitat.
Another option is a guided nature hike, where visitors can venture into the rainforest and discover the diverse flora and fauna that call Ketchikan home. Expert guides will lead the way, pointing out wildlife tracks, identifying different bird species, and sharing fascinating facts about the ecosystem.
For those looking for a more personal experience, private charters are also available. These allow visitors to customize their wildlife viewing experience and have the undivided attention of a knowledgeable guide.
No matter which option you choose, a guided tour focused on wildlife viewing in Ketchikan is a fantastic way to immerse yourself in the natural beauty of this region and encounter its incredible wildlife up close.
Can you recommend any guided tours or excursions that highlight the Native American culture in Ketchikan?
Yes, there are several guided tours and excursions in Ketchikan that focus on highlighting the Native American culture:
1. Saxman Native Village Totem Bight Park Tour: This tour takes you to Saxman Native Village, where you can explore a traditional Tlingit village and witness a totem pole carving demonstration. You can also learn about the rich history and culture of the local Native American tribes.
2. Totem Heritage Center: The Totem Heritage Center offers guided tours that provide insights into the Native American art and culture of the Tsimshian, Haida, and Tlingit tribes. You can see an impressive collection of totem poles and other traditional artwork.
3. Rainbird Trail: This guided hike along the Rainbird Trail allows you to immerse yourself in the lush rainforest while learning about the traditional uses of plants and trees by the Native American people. Your guide will share stories and knowledge related to the Native culture and history of the area.
4. Misty Fjords National Monument Flightseeing Tour: While not directly focused on Native American culture, this scenic flightseeing tour often includes commentary about the rich heritage of the Native American tribes who have lived in the Misty Fjords area for thousands of years.
These tours offer unique experiences to learn about and appreciate the Native American culture in Ketchikan. Make sure to check with the tour operators for availability and any specific COVID-19 protocols in place.
What are some guided tours or excursions in Ketchikan that offer opportunities for outdoor activities like hiking or kayaking?
Ketchikan, located in Alaska, offers several guided tours and excursions that provide opportunities for outdoor activities such as hiking and kayaking. Here are a few options to consider:
1. Ketchikan Kayak Company: This tour company offers guided sea kayak tours through the picturesque waters surrounding Ketchikan. You can paddle through serene bays, explore secluded coves, and observe the diverse marine life.
2. Southeast Sea Kayaks: Another popular option for kayaking enthusiasts, Southeast Sea Kayaks provides guided tours that allow you to explore the stunning coastline of Ketchikan. You can paddle past towering cliffs, spot bald eagles, and encounter curious sea otters.
3. Ketchikan Hiking Tours: If you prefer hiking, there are several guided tours available that take you through the beautiful wilderness surrounding Ketchikan. These tours offer various difficulty levels, allowing you to choose a hike that suits your preferences and fitness level.
4. Totem Bight State Historical Park: For a combination of culture and outdoor activities, consider visiting Totem Bight State Historical Park. This park offers guided tours that take you through lush forests, where you can learn about Native American history and view impressive totem poles.
5. Tongass National Forest: Ketchikan is located within the Tongass National Forest, the largest national forest in the United States. There are numerous guided hikes available that allow you to explore this pristine wilderness, offering opportunities to spot wildlife like black bears, Sitka deer, and bald eagles.
Note: It’s always advisable to book these tours in advance, especially during peak travel seasons, to ensure availability.
Are there any guided tours or excursions in Ketchikan that take visitors to nearby scenic spots or attractions?
Yes, there are several guided tours and excursions in Ketchikan that take visitors to nearby scenic spots and attractions.
One popular option is the Misty Fjords National Monument tour, which takes you on a scenic flightseeing adventure through the breathtaking fjords and mountains. You can get a bird’s-eye view of waterfalls, glaciers, and wildlife while learning about the area’s natural history and geology.
Another option is the Saxman Native Village and Totem Bight State Park tour, where you can explore traditional Tlingit culture and see authentic totem poles up close. The knowledgeable guides will share fascinating stories and legends as you walk through the village and park.
For wildlife enthusiasts, the Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary tour offers the chance to spot bald eagles, black bears, and other local wildlife in their natural habitat. This guided walking tour takes you through a protected rainforest reserve, where you can learn about the region’s ecology and conservation efforts.
If you’re interested in fishing, there are also fishing charters available in Ketchikan. You can join a professional guide and try your luck at catching salmon, halibut, or other popular fish species in the area’s pristine waters.
These are just a few examples, but there are many more options available depending on your interests and preferences. Make sure to book your preferred tour or excursion in advance to secure your spot.
In conclusion, Ketchikan, Alaska offers a plethora of incredible guided tours and excursions that will leave visitors in awe. Whether you’re interested in exploring the breathtaking Misty Fjords National Monument, immersing yourself in the rich cultural heritage of the Tlingit people, or embarking on an unforgettable wildlife adventure, this charming Alaskan town has something for everyone. With knowledgeable guides leading the way, you can rest assured that your experience will be both educational and unforgettable. Don’t miss out on the chance to discover the natural beauty and cultural wonders of Ketchikan – book your guided tour or excursion today and create memories that will last a lifetime.