Welcome to my travel blog, where I share my adventures in exploring the United States and its territories! Today, we’re diving into the vibrant city of Spokane, Washington. From its stunning natural beauty, including the Spokane River and nearby Mount Spokane, to its rich history and thriving arts scene, Spokane offers a plethora of exciting activities for every type of traveler. Whether you’re into outdoor adventures, cultural experiences, or delicious cuisine, Spokane has something for everyone. So put on your hiking boots, grab your camera, and let’s discover the best of Spokane together! Get ready for an unforgettable journey.
Explore the Riverfront Park
Located in downtown Spokane, Riverfront Park is a must-visit destination for both locals and tourists. Enjoy a leisurely stroll along the Spokane River while taking in the beautiful scenery. The park offers various activities such as riding the famous Spokane Falls SkyRide, visiting the IMAX theater, or playing mini-golf. Don’t miss the opportunity to see the iconic Spokane Falls, a magnificent waterfall that flows through the heart of the city.
Discover the Spokane Arts Scene
Immerse yourself in the vibrant arts scene of Spokane by visiting the various art galleries, theaters, and museums. Take a trip to the Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture to learn about the region’s history and admire the impressive art collections. Don’t forget to check out the local theaters for live performances and catch a show if you have the chance. Spokane’s art scene is a hidden gem waiting to be explored.
Indulge in Outdoor Recreation
Spokane is surrounded by stunning natural beauty, making it a paradise for outdoor enthusiasts. Engage in a wide range of activities such as hiking, biking, and boating in the nearby mountains, rivers, and lakes. Riverside State Park, Mount Spokane State Park, and Bowl and Pitcher are popular destinations for outdoor recreation. Whether you’re seeking adventure or simply want to relax amidst nature, Spokane offers something for everyone.
Visit the Historic Downtown District
The historic downtown district of Spokane is filled with charm and character. Take a walk along the streets lined with unique shops, restaurants, and historic buildings. Visit the Martin Woldson Theater at the Fox, an elegant theater showcasing various performances throughout the year. Don’t miss the chance to explore the Davenport Hotel, a landmark establishment that has been serving guests since 1914. The downtown district is a perfect blend of old-world charm and modern attractions.
Experience the Spokane Food Culture
Spokane offers a diverse culinary scene that caters to all palates. Indulge in farm-to-table dining experiences, taste local wines and craft beers, and sample delicious international cuisines in the numerous restaurants and breweries scattered across the city. Visit the Spokane Public Market to discover local produce, artisan products, and tasty treats. Whether you’re a foodie or just looking for a satisfying meal, Spokane’s food culture won’t disappoint.
Frequently Asked Questions in our travel blog
What are the must-visit attractions in Spokane, Washington?
Spokane, Washington is a city in the Pacific Northwest known for its natural beauty and vibrant cultural scene. Here are some must-visit attractions in Spokane:
1. Riverfront Park: Located in downtown Spokane, this expansive park offers stunning views of the Spokane River. You can enjoy a leisurely stroll along the Centennial Trail, ride the historic carousel, or take a gondola ride over the falls.
2. Manito Park: This 90-acre park is a botanical wonderland, featuring beautifully manicured gardens, a Japanese garden, a rose garden, and a conservatory. It’s an ideal spot to relax, have a picnic, or take a leisurely walk.
3. The Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture: Known as MAC, this museum showcases the art, culture, and history of the Inland Northwest. It houses an extensive collection of Native American artifacts, regional art, and rotating exhibits.
4. Spokane Falls: These spectacular waterfalls are located right in the heart of downtown Spokane. You can admire the falls from multiple viewpoints or take a scenic boat tour to get up close.
5. Mount Spokane State Park: For outdoor enthusiasts, a visit to this state park is a must. It offers various recreational activities such as hiking, camping, mountain biking, and skiing during winter months.
6. The Bing Crosby Theater: This historic theater is a cultural gem in Spokane. Catch a live performance, concert, or film screening in this beautifully restored venue.
7. The Davenport Hotel: This iconic hotel is renowned for its grand architecture and luxurious accommodations. Even if you’re not staying there, it’s worth a visit to admire its beauty and enjoy a meal at one of its fine dining restaurants.
8. Green Bluff: Just a short drive from Spokane, Green Bluff is a charming farming community known for its u-pick farms, pumpkin patches, and apple orchards. It’s a great place to experience the region’s agricultural heritage and enjoy fresh produce.
These are just a few of the many attractions Spokane has to offer. The city also hosts various festivals, art galleries, and outdoor recreational opportunities that make it a fantastic destination for travelers.
What outdoor activities can I enjoy in Spokane, Washington?
Spokane, Washington offers a wide range of outdoor activities for visitors to enjoy. Here are some of the top options:
1. Hiking and Biking: Spokane is surrounded by beautiful natural landscapes, including trails in Riverside State Park and Mount Spokane State Park. These parks offer various levels of difficulty for hikers and bikers of all abilities.
2. Water Sports: The Spokane River provides opportunities for kayaking, paddleboarding, and rafting. You can rent equipment and take guided tours to explore the river’s scenic beauty.
3. Golfing: Spokane boasts several golf courses, including the Indian Canyon Golf Course and the Downriver Golf Course, where you can enjoy a round amidst stunning views.
4. Fishing: With numerous lakes and rivers in the area, fishing enthusiasts can try their luck at catching trout, bass, and other fish species. Lake Spokane and the Spokane River are popular fishing spots.
5. Rock Climbing: For thrill-seekers, Spokane offers some great rock climbing opportunities. Minnehaha Rocks and Minnehaha Park are known for their challenging routes for climbers of different skill levels.
6. Winter Sports: During the winter months, visitors can indulge in skiing, snowboarding, and snowshoeing at Mount Spokane Ski and Snowboard Park. The park offers groomed trails and slopes suitable for beginners and experienced winter enthusiasts alike.
7. Wildlife Watching: Spokane is home to diverse wildlife, and the Turnbull National Wildlife Refuge is a great place for bird watching and observing other animals in their natural habitats.
These are just a few of the many outdoor activities you can enjoy in Spokane, making it an ideal destination for nature lovers and adventure enthusiasts alike.
Are there any popular festivals or events held in Spokane, Washington?
Yes, there are several popular festivals and events held in Spokane, Washington throughout the year.
One of the most well-known events is the Spokane Lilac Festival, which takes place in May. This festival celebrates the blooming of lilac flowers and includes a parade, live music, food vendors, and various activities for all ages.
Another popular event is the Spokane Hoopfest, held in June. It is the largest 3-on-3 street basketball tournament in the world, attracting thousands of players and spectators. The streets of downtown Spokane are closed off for this event, creating a lively and energetic atmosphere.
In September, you can experience the Spokane County Interstate Fair. This fair features live music, carnival rides, agricultural exhibits, delicious food stands, and various competitions, providing entertainment for the whole family.
Additionally, the Bloomsday Run is a famous race held on the first Sunday of May. Thousands of participants gather to run a 12-kilometer course through Spokane’s scenic neighborhoods and parks.
These are just a few examples of the many festivals and events that make Spokane an exciting and vibrant destination to visit.
What are some hidden gems or off-the-beaten-path attractions in Spokane, Washington?
If you’re visiting Spokane, Washington and looking for hidden gems or off-the-beaten-path attractions, here are a few recommendations:
1. Riverside State Park: This underrated gem offers miles of hiking and biking trails, picturesque picnic spots, and stunning views of the Spokane River. Don’t miss the Bowl and Pitcher area, known for its unique rock formations.
2. Manito Park: Tucked away in the South Hill neighborhood, Manito Park is a hidden oasis with beautiful gardens, a conservatory, a Japanese garden, and even a duck pond. It’s perfect for a peaceful stroll or a relaxing picnic.
3. Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture: This lesser-known museum showcases local history and art through engaging exhibits, including Native American artifacts, regional art collections, and rotating contemporary art displays.
4. The Garland District: A vibrant and offbeat neighborhood, the Garland District offers unique shops, vintage boutiques, cozy cafes, and even a historic movie theater. Be sure to check out the iconic Garland Arch, adorned with colorful lights.
5. Cat Tales Zoological Park: Located just outside Spokane, this hidden gem is a sanctuary for rescued big cats. Visitors can take guided tours to see lions, tigers, leopards, and other exotic animals up close while supporting conservation efforts.
6. Arbor Crest Wine Cellars: Nestled in the hills overlooking Spokane Valley, Arbor Crest Wine Cellars is a hidden winery with stunning views and award-winning wines. Enjoy a tasting on the terrace or during one of their summer concerts.
These off-the-beaten-path attractions in Spokane offer a unique and often overlooked side of the city, allowing visitors to explore beyond the usual tourist spots.
Where can I find the best dining and nightlife spots in Spokane, Washington?
Spokane, Washington offers a vibrant dining and nightlife scene for travelers to enjoy. Here are some of the best spots to check out:
1. Downtown Spokane: The heart of the city offers a diverse range of dining options, from trendy gastropubs to upscale restaurants. Explore Main Avenue, Riverside Avenue, and Wall Street for a variety of cuisines.
2. The Historic Davenport Hotel: This iconic hotel houses several renowned dining establishments, including the Palm Court Grill and the Peacock Room Lounge. Experience elegant ambiance and delectable cuisine here.
3. South Perry District: Located on the east side of downtown, this neighborhood boasts a hip and eclectic dining scene. Discover unique farm-to-table restaurants, craft breweries, and cozy bistros.
4. Garland District: Just north of downtown, Garland Avenue is lined with charming eateries, bars, and vintage shops. Don’t miss the Milk Bottle Restaurant, a local favorite serving classic American comfort food.
5. Steam Plant Square: Housed in a historic steam plant, this complex features multiple restaurants, bars, and a brewery. Enjoy a meal while admiring the unique industrial architecture.
For nightlife, Spokane offers a range of options:
1. Entertainment District: Head to the area around Stevens Street and West Riverside Avenue for a lively nightlife experience. Here, you’ll find bars, clubs, live music venues, and theaters.
2. Browne’s Addition: This historic neighborhood features several pubs, wine bars, and lounges where you can enjoy a relaxed evening. Don’t miss the Inland Northwest Ale Trail, which showcases local craft breweries.
3. The Viking: A popular spot for nightlife, The Viking is a well-known bar with a friendly atmosphere, live music, and a wide selection of drinks.
Remember to check local listings and websites for updated information on specific venues and events. Enjoy your time exploring the dining and nightlife scene in Spokane!
In conclusion, Spokane, Washington offers a plethora of activities and attractions that make it a must-visit destination in the United States. From exploring the stunning natural beauty of Riverfront Park and Manito Park to immersing yourself in the vibrant arts and culture scene at the Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture and the Martin Woldson Theater at the Fox, there is something for everyone to enjoy in this hidden gem of a city.
Whether you’re a nature lover, history buff, or simply seeking an adventure-filled getaway, Spokane has it all. So, pack your bags and get ready to be captivated by the charm and beauty of this extraordinary city. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to experience all that Spokane has to offer – it’s truly a destination that will leave lasting memories.